Advice to Rising Sophomores

Dear freshmen,

Congratulations! It’s almost the end of the school year and you’re so close to 10th grade. 

As high school passes by quickly, you’ll be upperclassmen in no time, and even applying for college in a few years, but I’d like to begin by emphasizing that no sophomore should be concerned about college, not one. Having said that, during sophomore year you should try to identify your areas of interest. Though you do not have as many choices over courses as upperclassmen do, you have a far wider range of courses available to you compared to freshman year, so take advantage of them. Whether you are interested in STEM or the humanities, sophomore year is the best time to try new things. Join more clubs that you enjoy and commit your time to them.

Even though it may seem like sophomore year is a breeze, remember that it is a big step up from your freshman year responsibilities and roles. Try your best, and only the best results will come your way. Develop strong study habits that will help you deal with the heavier course load. Developing better study habits that will not only benefit you now, but also in junior and senior year. 

Furthermore, when handling a heavier course load, it is critical to maintain your mental and physical wellness. Be conscious of your boundaries and don’t push yourself too hard since you want to maintain consistency throughout the school year, start the year well, and finish the year successfully.

The best way to get through high school as a sophomore is to just have fun and enjoy your time there. 

Wishing you all the best, 

Effie Economou