Fall Sports Wrap Up – Covid Edition

Boys Soccer
Soccer is an extremely fun sport to play and playing with a team is an amazing experience that builds bonds with the boys. Although we could not have normal practices, we still made it work during these scary times and I am very grateful for that. – Prem Parikh

Field Hockey
I’m so glad that during the pandemic we could still play. Wearing masks while running and not being able to run practices like normal because we could not physically touch each other was a bummer. However, I was super thankful to be able to play with my team this year. – Jada Garnett

XC
Even though we couldn’t compete against other teams, I am still very glad that we were able to practice as a team. We were able to build strong relationships while still training hard and competing among ourselves. – Tim Melley

Girls Soccer
Even though we didn’t get to have games, we were able to scrimmage in practice and still feel like a team 🙂 – Bella Weyler

Volleyball
It’s indisputable that volleyball was different this year. We were outside, in the chilly air, with stiff, frozen volleyballs, nets we had to set up every afternoon and take down every evening, hours devoted to passing to yourself while staring into the blinding sun and twisted ankles on the rocky and uneven terrain. Despite the enormity of such changes, the volleyball team of 2020-2021 persevered through teamwork, determination, and plenty of laughs.
Despite this incredibly odd and unusual set-up for volleyball, Coach Cicero was not deterred from making this the best season he could. He came ready every day to make us better players, better athletes, and better people. He worked hard to balance the Covid guidelines with fun and engaging volleyball drills and always brought an uplifting attitude for any player that had had a long and tiresome day.
Additionally, Bancroft volleyball had a new assistant coach! Ms. Corrine Willians, Bancroft’s new Assistant Director of Admissions, stepped up despite her busy schedule and having to get used to a brand new school in a brand new environment. Coach Williams brought with her a fresh new outlook on the program and an excitement about getting to know us, the game, and the community. With her extensive experience in sports (see her interview here) she brought invaluable knowledge and a love for the sport that made every frigid or tiring practice worth it. We are so beyond excited for next season and to be able to have her coach us in our games.
The first two to three weeks we were only allowed to pass to ourselves. We had to learn how to set up the equipment ourselves, learn how to pass to ourselves, and plenty (and I mean plenty) of conditioning. But this team may be the most unified, positive, and connected team I have been on (family may be a more accurate word). The freshmen came into the season positive and excited, completely ignoring the fact that our sport was being flipped 180 degrees and some had to learn the sport without really, well, playing the sport. They were always ready for whatever the coaches had in store and were constantly determined to better their skills and learn from their teammates around them. The sophomores became leaders in their own right, showing the freshmen the ropes and ensuring that they became the best players they could be. The sophomores were always thrilled to show up to practice and see their fellow teammates, bubbling with excitement, often spilling over and talking nonstop about their previous class or what happened over the weekend. They were our anchor when we felt tired and worn down, and inspired us every day with how quickly they improved their skills. Although there weren’t many of us, the Juniors became more or less responsible for making sure Ally had the best season possible. By helping the freshmen and sophomores with technique, motivation, and inspiration, we worked hard to ensure that each and every player was working hard, improving, and above all having fun and bonding with our team.

We, of course, can not forget about our favorite and most inspirational player on the team – Senior Captain Alli Rosenfeld. It would have been easy for them to give up this season. They’re a senior, with intense academics and rigorous college applications, not to mention having to lead a group of bubbly and unfocused girls in the bitter cold. But they did it every day with nothing but a beaming smile and a helping heart. They led us through practice, with their incredible patience, helpful demonstrations, and lively spirit. This is everything you want in a Captain, and Alli delivered beyond the limits. For Alli, this season wasn’t about how many kills they could get, getting their spotlight at the senior game, or winning awards. Their kind heart led them to more than that. They wanted to better the program, inspire young players, and lead with their head held high and their heart humbled. Alli, we will miss you more than words can express. But I hope that you know how much you truly touched, helped, and inspired each and every one of us. We love you! – Maegan Fitzpatrick