Scarlett Johansson Seeks Revenge with Her Mind

Maggie S, Editor-in-Chief

A movie review of Lucy

With starpower from Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman, dazzling cinematography and an interesting premise, Lucy tries to distinguish itself from other cliché summer action flicks. It mostly succeeds.

Scarlett Johansson plays Lucy, an American student studying abroad in Taiwan who is kidnapped by an Asian gangster and forced to transport a mysterious bag of blue drugs in her stomach. However, the bag bursts, and the drug begins to allow Lucy to access more than the standard 10% of her brain. The more access Lucy has to her brain, the less human she becomes. Johansson’s acting in this movie is solid; she makes the transformation from scared student to almost robotic superhuman seem gradual and believable. However, the script never gives her character any depth, which is is not necessarily a bad choice. Without a background story or full introduction to Lucy at the beginning, the director spends more time on the action packed scenes. Well, it is a summer movie after all. (By the way, don’t see this movie because you’re a Morgan Freeman fan: his only role is to spout exposition about current research on the brain.)

Director Luc Besson is known for action thrillers, such as Taken 2, that are visually stunning. Besson lives up to expectations in Lucy as his cinematography creates awe and excited anticipation for what’s next. I will warn you that the ending may seem a bit lackluster; nonetheless, the action leading up to the ending makes up for it. While movies these days tend to be at least two hours long (Transformers: Age of Extinction clocks in at 2 hours and 45 minutes!), Lucy is a short 89 minutes that will keep you entertained with its crazy cinematic imagery.

Lucy will be released on DVD in November 2014.