Welcome, Mr. Wertheim!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome, Mr. Wertheim!

Andrew Stahovec, Writer

Did you always want to become a teacher?

“Definitely not. I had no idea what I wanted to do until I was nearing the end of my time in college, at age 25. All I knew was that I loved reading and writing, and that I had a desire to give back to a community and be a mentor to others. Ultimately, I decided that teaching was the most efficient way to cover all of these bases.”

How did you learn about Bancroft?

“I learned about Bancroft during my extensive job search. The private school job market is very competitive, especially in New York City, where I was living while I attended graduate school. In expanding my search, I found Bancroft, a school which aligned with my own goals and values and which was prepared to guide and teach me as I began this career. I feel very lucky to have ended up in such a supportive environment.”

Favorite book?

“My favorite book is not one particular title, but rather any book which makes me think, feel, and see in a new way. I’m currently reading Grendel, by John Gardner, and re-reading A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole, both of which fit those criteria.”

If you hadn’t become a teacher, what else would you do?

“Immediately before I decided to pursue this path, I was on track to become an Army intelligence officer. I have also been a carpenter, a music critic, a gigging musician, and an academic-in-training. Of all of these alternate timelines, carpentry and the military are closest to what I do now, so I would probably be working in one of those fields.”

If you could only eat one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?

“Tacos from Emilio’s on W 207th St. in New York City.”

What’s one of the most impactful events in your life?

“My failed first year of college was an incredibly important event in my life. I made it through middle and upper school without much introspection, interpreting any struggles along the way as anomalies and following the path that I saw as prescribed by my parents, teachers, and peers. When I arrived at college, I immediately realized that this path was not my path, and that following it had kept me from knowing much about who I was and what I wanted out of life. While the years that followed were difficult and sometimes painful, as I discovered myself through trial and error, I am incredibly thankful that I crashed and burned out of my freshman year. Without that failure, and many others after it, I would not be where I am today.” 

Favorite film?

“Impossible to answer, but off the top of my head, here are three favorites. Funny: “Local Hero,” by Bill Forsyth. Suspenseful: “Duel,” by Steven Spielberg. Affecting: “Yi Yi,” by Edward Yang.”

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

“Cue a thousand coffee mugs screaming “I teach – what’s your superpower?” But seriously, it would be time travel.”