Marvel Movies: RANKED

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvel Movies: RANKED

Andrew Dully, Writer

Hello all!

I have tasked myself with the very daunting and controversial project of ranking all of the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or the MCU. Before getting into the list and the explanations, I want to make sure you know how a tier list works. Basically, there are seven different tiers of ranking things, all with their own meanings.

• The top tier, or S, usually refers to something that is regarded as a masterpiece and is of the highest quality.
  • The A tier is for things that are regarded as far above average, but not perfect.
  • B tier things are slightly above average.
  • C tier items are those that are just average. Not good, but not bad.
  • D tier is reserved for things that are below average. They’re not bad, but they don’t match the standards of the previous tier.
  • The E tier is for things that are bad, but not complete garbage.
  • Finally, F tier is reserved for the worst of the worst. There is no redeeming these things, and people unanimously agree that they are terrible.

One last thing before I get into the list, I want to make a little warning. THIS IS MY OPINION! PLEASE DON’T GET ANGRY IF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE ISN’T S TIER! ALSO! MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!

Without further ado, let’s get into the list!

S:

• Black Panther: Hands down one of the most fun and cool movies in the MCU. There’s a reason why this movie won 3 Oscars. The all-black cast (with the 2 exceptions of Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman) acted with incredible passion. The costumes are beautiful and accurate to actual traditional African clothing. The special effects are beautiful, even in the high-paced action scenes. The soundtrack is so good that I’m no longer allowed to play music in the car because the last 2 cars went up in flames. This movie feels well-paced, and there’s never a dull moment. Without a doubt, the best part of this movie is the villain Killmonger. He is the Yin to T’Challa’s Yang. They both want the same thing but have very different ideas about how to achieve it. The icing on the cake for this movie has to be the concept. I am TOTALLY sold on Wakanda and the high-tech Black Panther suit. Black Panther is an all-around awesome movie. 9/10 super innovative and cool
  • Captain America The Winter Soldier: This is the movie where Marvel really changed. This is essentially the first movie that carries a dark tone throughout. Sure, the others had their serious moments, but they are mostly lighthearted and fun. Winter Soldier is less of a superhero movie and more of a spy thriller with superheroes. The best part about this movie is easily Cap himself. This is really the first time where we see Steve Rodgers’ morals and motivations being challenged. Bucky is Steve’s foil, pushing him to his physical and emotional limits. The action is well-paced and easy to follow, and the acting is very solid. A thing that makes this movie even more impressive is that this is the first Marvel movie that the Russo brothers directed. They really hit it out of the park, making this the best movie in Phase 2. 9/10 breaks the mold
  • Endgame: Is it even possible for the Russo brothers to top Infinity War? Yes. I could go on for hours about why this movie is phenomenal, but you already know that. So instead, I’m going to give you the 2 best parts of this movie. First is the final battle. This is it … the final showdown. After all of the sacrifice and pain of Infinity War, both sides are ready to fight for the universe, and you can feel it. Plus, if your inner 10-year-old wasn’t bouncing off the walls in this scene, you have no joy in your life. Next is the sacrifice of Iron Man. After 10 years, we as an audience have seen Tony Stark grow and mature in ways that most fictional characters could only dream of, and it all culminates into this one moment. When we first met him, Tony was arrogant, egotistical and antagonistic to everyone around him. Now, he gave his life to save the universe, something that Tony would never do in his first few movies. Tony Stark’s character arc is complete, and I’m not sad that it’s over, but I’m happy that I got to follow his journey. 10/10 best movie in the MCU
  • Infinity War: Do I even really need to explain this one? The entire MCU has led to this movie. We as fans have waited for 10 years and watched 19 movies, and oh boy, was it worth it. The special effects are absolutely gorgeous and it’s very obvious that every actor is giving it their all. Thanos is the perfect villain, expertly displaying his sociopathic morals, but still showing that he has emotions. Finally, the gut-wrenching ending with Spider-Man really tugs at your heartstrings, and if you didn’t cry, you have no soul. 9.5/10 instant classic
  • Iron Man: The movie that started it all. Watching this movie with the knowledge of what happens throughout the later films brings a certain simplicity to the grandfather of the MCU. Iron Man doesn’t have a complicated plot line involving space gods and talking raccoons, but a simple plot following a billionaire genius struggling with his newfound power and vulnerability that the Iron Man suits bring. Sure, the effects are dated and the comedy is stale at times, but that’s ok. This movie has a certain charm that none of the others have. Hands down, the best movie of Phase 1. 9/10 the start of something big
  • Thor Ragnarok: The most fun movie in the MCU. When you watch Thor mow through countless baddies that are no stronger than glass with his lighting hammer, all to the tune of “Immigrant Song” by Led Zepplin, you get a special feeling. I believe it’s called euphoria. And when you thought this movie couldn’t get any better, we get a scene of Thor fighting the Hulk in gladiatorial combat. If this isn’t the textbook definition of awesome, then I don’t know what is. This movie doesn’t take itself seriously, and it pays off in a major way. Chris Hemsworth absolutely kills it as a Thor who isn’t afraid to joke around. This movie is fun, plain and simple. 9.5/10 just watch it and thank me later

A:

• Avengers: If I could summarize this movie in 1 word, it would be iconic. Avengers is a cultural staple and a groundbreaking event in film history. A crossover like this had never been done before and was a massive risk for Marvel. Marvel took a huge risk and made a monumental reward. This was the movie that sold the concept of superheroes in movies to the general public. Had it not been for The Avengers, who knows where the MCU would be? Avengers is less of a movie and more of an event. 8/10 historic
  • Captain America Civil War: Even though the Avengers are an inseparable team, we all secretly want to watch them fight each other. Civil War does that and much more. In addition to having the grittiest and darkest plot besides Infinity War and Endgame, Civil War also introduced my 2 favorite characters in the MCU: Black Panther and Spider-Man. The plot is compelling and even makes the audience pick a side. The twist at the end is also great. 8/10 the movie we didn’t know we wanted
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: A pure joyride. This movie is just simple fun. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, with hits like “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Swede. The tone of this movie is also more lighthearted tone than the other movies in Phase 2. Did I mention that this movie is hilarious? Drax and Rocket Raccoon are easily the funniest characters in the entire MCU. I just love everything about Guardians, from the cast and soundtrack to the effects and story. 8.5/10 just go watch it and have a great time
  • Spider-Man Homecoming: This is the best interpretation of Spider-Man we have ever seen and will ever see in a movie. Tom Holland brings a certain energy and passion to the role that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield failed to embrace. As someone once said in a review of Homecoming, this is not a Spider-Man movie, but a teen comedy featuring Spider-Man. Personally, I love that. This movie has a completely different tone than the other movies in Phase 3. Also, Homecoming is hilarious. There were times where I was laughing so hard, my stomach hurt. Finally, this movie is relatable. Homecoming tries very hard to let you know that anyone could be Spider-Man. Before he became Spider-Man, Peter Parker was just a normal, relatable high school student. 8.5/10 lighthearted fun

B:

• Ant-Man and the Wasp: This is the only other movie besides Captain Marvel that I haven’t seen. Going off of what I’ve heard, this movie is better than the first Ant-Man ?/10 seems cool
  • Captain America The First Avenger: I’m really torn about this movie. I love the first half but really dislike the second half. If it were up to me, the movie would only be the first half. I love the story of Steve becoming Captain America and struggling to find his place in the world as a superhero. This movie perfectly shows that Cap’s strongest ability is his virtue. Even when he was just a scrawny coward, he made it very clear that he would die for his country. All of this is awesome, but the second half is too complicated. Having the plot revolve around the Red Skull was a bad decision, and Marvel should’ve focused on Cap more. Despite this, this movie has the best ending of any movie in the MCU. Go watch it for yourself. 7/10 pretty darn cool
  • Doctor Strange: This movie is mind-bending fun. It’s like Marvel looked at Inception and said, “I can do that better,” and they did. Doctor Strange messes with your head in the best way. The special effects make the idea of magic in the MCU equally believable and crazy. Also, the acting is solid. Maybe I’m biased towards Benedict Cumberbatch, but he seems to fit the role of the genius Doctor Strange perfectly, with past roles like Sherlock Holmes and Alan Turing. The plot is fluid with a very fitting climax. Also, this movie has the best Stan Lee cameo. In the final battle, Stan can be seen in a bus reading The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, which is hilarious. Since explaining a joke makes it 67.42% less funny, I’ll let you discover this one for yourself. 7.5/10 messes with your head

C:

• Ant-Man: Like the other movies in this tier, Ant-Man is average. While it’s creative and funny, it’s nothing special. 5.5/10 sorry not sorry
  • Avengers Age of Ultron: When you make a movie as legendary as The Avengers, you’re setting yourself up for a weak follow-up. Unfortunately, that’s what this movie is. Don’t get me wrong, this movie is fun, but it’s nowhere near as good as The Avengers. Age of Ultron tries to be Empire Strikes Back but ends up being more like Attack of the Clones. 6/10 not as good
  • Captain Marvel: I’m going to be completely honest, I haven’t seen this one yet. Due to this, I’m just going to place it in the middle. ?/10 probably good
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Just like the first movie, but a little worse. Besides that, it’s still a crazy joyride in space. 6.5/10 not as good
  • Iron Man 3: Just like Iron Man 2, I really want to like this movie. However, I just can’t bring myself to. The story is average and has Tony fighting against another villain who has no motivation besides copying Tony’s tech. Sure, this movie is better due to the twist about the Mandarin, but that’s not enough to make this movie good. However, this movie does hold a special place in my heart, as it was my introduction to the MCU. Besides that, it’s not that good 5.5/10 a step up from Iron Man 2

D:

• Thor: This movie is painfully average. Thor is Marvel’s first time trying something different, and it shows. Everything is just so average and there’s nothing special or groundbreaking. 5/10 average

E:

• Iron Man 2: I want to like this movie so badly, but I just can’t. Like Age of Ultron, this is another inferior sequel to an amazing movie. The only cool things about this movie are the suit-ups, Whiplash and War Machine. Besides that, Iron Man 2 is trying to be its predecessor too hard. 4.5/10 wasted potential

F:

• The Incredible Hulk: This movie is just abysmal. The CGI looks like an amateur film student’s first project, and the acting lacks passion. Marvel made a great decision casting Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner in later films. Overall, this movie is a misstep on the stairway to glory. 4/10 don’t watch it
  • Thor the Dark World: This movie is just a continuation of Thor but worse. The acting comes off as an amateur job, and that is especially evident with Natalie Portman and her character. There is no criticism about this movie that hasn’t already been said, so I’d rather focus on praising the MCU than beating the dead horse that is this movie. More than anything else, the worst part of this movie is the fact that the plot is relevant to the overall narrative of Thor’s story and character arc. Why anyone thought this movie was a good idea will go down as one of life’s greatest mysteries. 4/10 only watch it if you’re binging the whole MCU (except for Hulk)