Unleashed

Who Holds the Power?

Jada Garnett, Writer

In society, people of all ages and genders have evolved to have different roles. In the olden days, it was men who held the power. Men worked, made all the money for their family, could vote, own property, etc. Women were to stay at home, make sure the house was tidy, couldn’t vote, couldn’t get an education, etc. The boys and girls of these times normally followed after the men and women before them. At some point in history the Women’s Rights movement occurred, letting women have rights they didn’t have before. In modern times, the roles of women and men have changed depending on age and sometimes even setting.

For example, in an office setting men can be considered more trust worthy than women who do the same job as them. Therefore, what men say in the conference room can be more trusted than what the women say, even if it’s the same thing. On the contrary, in some cases, women can come up with brilliant ideas and for this are seen as more intelligent than men. As a result, women can be put in higher positions than men. So, it really can all depend with adults. Gender roles have flourished among the younger generations as well. For example, in the school setting, boys can be seen as less intelligent than girls. In opposition, boys can be seen as stronger than the girls, so they’re asked to do more physical tasks by teachers.

Although all of these gender stereotypes should mean nothing, people should be able to carry themselves as they’d like and be treated for who they are. People should not be treated differently because of their gender. Everyone, despite their gender, should get the same treatment, rights, etc. This topic even goes beyond gender and to race, religion, and so many other factors. Everyone deserves to be treated with the same respect and not in any peculiar way because of something that makes them who they are.