Clio’s Histories: A Bayeux Tapestry of Grievances

Alice Knowlton, Editor-in-Chief

Writing this series is a lot like high school. Every year I seriously consider throwing in the towel, but every year I find myself back again doing the same sorts of things, only gradually getting better at it. I would be content with this were it in my nature to ever be content. It’s not, though. Never forget that. Being a malcontent has brought me far in life, and after just a few months of stress and intermittently feigning chipperness for the sake of colleges, I will be free to move forward in life and see just how far artistic negativity can take me.

Now, I know that I essentially complain about being stressed whenever I’m not complaining about turkeys. You would know that too if you had read my previous works, but let’s be real, you probably haven’t. Hello and welcome. Anyway, while I do acknowledge the repetitiveness of my complaints, I’d also like to defend it. After all, for three years my regular rants have reflected the incidents and struggles of my high school career at the time each was written. This year I shall complete the final touches on my Bayeux Tapestry of Grievances. If I am to accurately represent this moment of my high school experience, I must mention the anguish which results from it being October, being a senior, and early action college applications being due November 1. Time is a thing of the past. Still, I can not deny that my stress has changed from year to year. Early on in high school, you do busy work; later on, you’re busy so one day you CAN work. One advantage is that the older you get, the more you get to choose the ways in which your life will suck. That actually helps quite a lot.

My advice to my fellow seniors is to take time for the little things that make you happy. I, for one, derive 98% of my joy from unsubscribing from the email lists of colleges that I have 0 interest in. Screw you, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Tulane, there has been no more satisfying experience in all my days than when I told you never to contact me again. As for all non-seniors, you probably shouldn’t have read this, as it surely must have given you stress you don’t need to be feeling at this time. Sorry about that. I can’t help but write from the heart. That’s why my words are always so bitter.

I’m writing this instead of studying for a French quiz. For someone needing to bring up her GPA on pain of Quinsigamond Community College, that is highly rebellious and also kind of a bad idea. What can I say, my passions must come first. After all, what’s more important really, a few points on a GPA or the satisfaction of amusing around 5 high school students with around 5 paragraphs of cleverness every month or so? I realize this question is debatable to most people but NOT TO ME. For me, there is only one choice. After all, don’t those blasted colleges say that they want to know who I really am? Well, I wanted to know first. Much like my college essay, I write my life bearing in mind that it should not be what I think a college admissions office is looking for.

Now, tell me that didn’t inspire you. You’re lying; it totally did. I bet you’re feeling oddly disheartened at the same time. Voici mon vrai talent.