Unleashed

Our Impactful Visit with Quanuquanei A. Karmue…aka “Q”

Tyler P., Contributor

Over the course of two days, January 17 and 18, alum Q Karmue visited campus. While his main goal was to interview students who had volunteered to read the manuscript of his memoir about escaping the Liberian civil war, Q also agreed to speak at US assembly, meet with Middle School students who are studying Africa, present at a breakfast for friends of Bancroft and be interviewed by Ken Wu as part of an independent study on refugees. Clearly, Q was incredibly generous with this time! So it was no surprise to any of us who got to meet him that Q would also agree to be interviewed for Unleashed. Enjoy the read!

What is one memory you have from Bancroft?

Q: The memories of playing soccer, playing lacrosse, playing golf. Just playing. Playing, playing, playing. That’s all I ever wanted to do.

What class was the most memorable class, either at Bancroft or at [college]?

Q: At Bancroft, the most memorable class was Art, spending time with Mr. Meyers. Two others were math and also in English, reconstructing everything I know about writing. I came from Burncoat and I got straight A’s, and then I came to Bancroft and got my first B. And that made me very frustrated because I thought I knew how to write. That was until I was assigned to Ms. (Tsang) Johnson who personally took me on to try to improve my writing. I remember her, her teaching me, her making me figure out how to write.

What has changed most about Bancroft?

Q: I don’t recognize a lot of the faces, there’s a lot of new construction. But it’s very strong, it’s still the same. It feels better, greater. Not much changes, it looks different, but the structure still seems to be very very strong; and that’s comforting.

What advice would you give to a current Bancroft student?

Q: I would say, don’t ever limit yourself from any of the greatest things that lie in your way. Especially when you have hard times in your way of where you need to go. It’s there to make your stronger. It’s meant to strengthen you for the journey ahead. The sky is definitely the limit, and that’s the truth.

Did you go to college?

Q: Yes, I went to Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Q: President of Liberia. No, uhm… I see myself more or less how I will see my world. I want to be part of a world that is transformed, that cares a little bit more. Where a society like Liberia have children who can really say that they have hope, who can see that they have a future and a lifestyle they are comfortable. Everything I do has to do with how I can transform the world around me, so that’s where I see myself.

What initiative does Save More Kids take?

Q: Our mission is to be able to help transform a nation by impacting an entire people. We have set up education, we have Christ Children Home, that’s the orphanage aspect of our work where we have a home with 44 kids, and our purpose is to transform them so they can make a positive impact on society. Then we have a relief project that gives temporary relief to very impoverished people, especially women and children. We also have the rubber tree project where we take a social enterprise approach to be able to help sustain our project. We naught large pieces of land in Liberia and planted rubber trees, so we can sell the latex from the tree to fund our project. We provide jobs, investments, and proceeds that go back into the communities that support these rubber tree projects. It’s starting a butterfly effect. It’s like what Muhammad Ali said, “fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee”. We want to do charity, we need to do charity; but it needs to pack a punch, you know?

Do you like cats or dogs more?

Q: I don’t have a cat or dog, but my kids want a pet. Any pet. I’d prefer a dog, rather than a cat, though.

What is your order at Starbucks?

Q: Caramel Macchiato. I can’t figure out “grande”, all the three. I just say “large”, “small”, or “medium”.