Ms. York

Felix Qin, Writer

How has your transition into Bancroft been?

It’s been awesome! I feel very welcomed and very supported by my colleagues. The students are great. It’s just been a very easy transition, which is surprising and really great.

What do you like to do for fun in your free time?

I like to walk my dog. I also run a lot with my husband. We are very active – so hiking, running, travel. And reading! I like to read a really wide variety of materials between online, newspaper, fiction, non-fiction . . .

Do you have any pets at home?

I do! I have several pets at home. I have a dog – she’s an Australian Shepherd, and her name is Scarlet. And I have a bird that has a weird story with it because that bird flew into the library that I worked at before. So I was a complete volunteer — I got elected to take it home. I have had it for over two years now. I just call it Bird, but it’s a canary. And I have two bunnies, Henry and Olaf, and they are Lionhead rabbits. And then I have outdoor fish. I have a koi pond, but my husband takes care of that. We have a couple of goldfish inside.

What is your dream vacation?

Well, I really want to go to San Sebastián, Spain. And I want to do a section near that area of the El Camino Santiago – it’s like a pilgrimage, and that’s a dream vacation. I would have to say that I have been so lucky this year to get to Hawaii, and I literally lived out my dream!

What are your “trapped on a desert island” books or movies?

For movie, I would bring the whole long six episodes of Pride and Prejudice – the BBC version, the one with Colin Firth from 1994. I could watch it again and again. And then for books, I would have Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. That is just an astonishing work of genius, highly recommended. It is about a black man’s experience of, metaphorically, being an “invisible” person in society, but I think [Ellison] was able to capture a really accurate picture of different stereotypes. And the Bible! That sounds really silly, but I probably would have that, so much literature draws back to the Bible – I was an English major so…  I would probably bring Lyrical Ballads, that’s a collection of poetry from the Romantic era. And I would also have to bring some transcendental lit from the America – some Emerson, Thoreau . . .  I would probably also bring a book on Buddhism, for meditation. Maybe Don Quixote! I had to read that for Spanish class, we had to read a lot when I was in high school.