Your Voice: A Student Publication

Unleashed

Tips To Get You Through Next Year

Carmen B., Julianna B., Ali V., Writers

For Freshmen…

Welcome to high school! You’ve survived middle school, and trust me, things only get better after that.

Freshman year is great – it is full of so many new opportunities, so make sure you take advantage of them. This is the time to try new things, so join clubs, branch out and make new friends, and try new sports! Not to be cliché or anything, but you miss all the shots you don’t take, so really, don’t be afraid to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Who knows, maybe you’ll surprise yourself and find a new activity that you love!

It is worth keeping in mind, however, that with all the new freedom that comes with being a freshman, there also comes greater responsibility. Classes are more demanding than they were last year, so you need to stay on top of your homework. Use your free periods wisely – it’s great to hang out with friends, but if you know you’re going to be busy that night, use the time to get your work done. Also, don’t panic if you get a bad grade – it happens to everyone. Just make sure you meet with teachers and always give 100%. Freshman year grades do count towards your high school GPA, so it is important to always try your best!

With all that said, good luck next year! And remember, if you ever need help with anything, your teachers and other students are there for you. They’ve all been through it, so don’t be afraid to ask if you need help!

For Sophomores…

Honestly, this year is pretty irrelevant. But that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Because no one really cares what you do this year, take the time to explore new things, whether they be clubs, sports or any other extra curriculars. Don’t feel like sophomore year needs to be a carbon copy of what you did when you were a freshmen, now is the time to explore! Also, this year is a great one to get more involved with clubs so you can be considered for leadership roles as an upperclassmen.

The main differences between freshmen and sophomore year is the addition of P.S.A.Ts and A.Ps. As only some of you will be taking A.P’s – and the P.S.A.Ts your sophomore year are pretty unimportant – don’t feel the need to stress out about either of those things. Think of the P.S.A.T’s your sophomore year as a look into how much you’ll need to study for them your junior year. And then your P.S.A.T’s your junior year will be a look into how much you’ll need to study for the S.A.Ts when you take them later.

This year you’ll also start to separate in classes more, particularly in history, and you’ll begin to think about which level classes you’ll take your junior year. The best piece of advice I would give for this process is to consider what’s best for you. Will it really be worth taking World History II Honors if you hate the subject and hate writing? That’s up for you to decide, but the answer is probably no. Also, don’t compare yourself to anyone else during this process; this decision should be based on what you want, not what someone else wants. If someone in your grade wants to take 5 A.Ps, an honors class plus an extra elective, that’s good for them but it doesn’t have to be what you want to do. If you really want to be in a higher class but don’t meet the grade requirement, accept that the class isn’t for you and try and work with your teacher to bring your grade up for next year.

For Juniors…

We all know this year has a reputation for being one of the most stressful years of high school. So, I’ve put together a list of 6 things you can do to survive your Junior year (I would have written a paragraph or two, but you’ll be much too busy to read that). Here it is:

1. If you can, get all of your driving lessons out of the way take your license test during the summer. You don’t want to have to worry about them during the school year.
  2. Take deep breaths (repeatedly).
  3. Don’t over-stress. Now that you’re starting the college process, life can get overwhelming. Just remember, you will end up at a great school, and not everything revolves about getting into a particular university.
  4. Learn to park diagonally – it will make a big different for your mornings.
  5. Try both the SAT’s and the ACT’s. You may find that one of them is better for you than other.
  6. DON’T PANIC

For Seniors…

Don’t let yourself get too overwhelmed with college. In my opinion, the first part of senior year is WAY worse than junior year. Still, don’t procrastinate on your college essays, and stay on top of everything you need for your applications (standardized tests, letters of recommendation, etc). When decisions come out, don’t let yourself get heartbroken if you don’t get into a certain school. You’re going to get a great education wherever you go if you work hard enough. In the end, you’re not going to be able to wait to leave high school, but try and enjoy all the good things while they last, like being able to come home to your parents every night and your last varsity sports game.