Let Me Schedule You In

Mikaela L., Writer

Last spring, the announcement of the new schedule came with a mixed bag of opinions, many of them pretty negative and doubtful. Now that the school year is underway, some opinions have changed and new ones have formed.

Overall, the majority of the changes in the new schedule are not as terrible as they once seemed. I think the biggest changes- increase in class time and decrease in number of classes each day- are pretty manageable and hopefully beneficial in the long run. The new schedule also boasted a promise to decrease nightly homework; however, I still find myself spending the same amount of time, if not more, on my work. Other than the weakly enforced “45 minute nightly homework” rule, the new schedule has barely accomplished that ambitious goal. While it is still too early to fully rule out all claims, the decrease in work looks highly unlikely.

The new schedule also brought changes to advisory, assembly, and clubs times, moving from after the lunch slot to the ninety-minute break in the morning. The frequency of advisory, assembly, and clubs took a huge hit when they were moved to assigned letter days. These changes may sound small, but their impact has been felt throughout the upper school. While it is great to have a longer break in the morning, placing clubs in between break and co-lab is very inconvenient. I’ve noticed that on days when I either have a club, advisory, or assembly, the two half-hours surrounding clubs are rather useless. It’s enough time to squeeze in a quick trip to the printer or to grab a snack from the hub, but not enough time to sit down and really start any work. Then by the time clubs, assembly, or advisory end, there is still not enough time to start any work. While this time was put into our day to help ease the nightly homework load and collaborate with our peers, it has become more of an awkward buffering time interrupted by clubs. At a school that emphasizes effective time management, the structure of the ninety-minute morning break can prevent students from being their most productive.

I am just one voice out of the entire upper school who is shouting into the void of an Unleashed editorial; however, it is vital that our collective student voice is actually heard. It would be extremely beneficial to have an organized way for the faculty and administration to hear the student’s opinions regarding how the new schedule is working. Since there is no official platform (yet), it is up to us students to make our voices heard- whether that’s through student council or a school wide survey. When a change as big as this one comes along, accurate student representation and a strong student voice are necessary to ensure a smooth transition.