The Restriction of Competition

ucdavis.edu
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Restriction of Competition

ucdavis.edu

ucdavis.edu

ucdavis.edu

ucdavis.edu

Sheel S, Writer

My face was covered in blue paint, and I had a drum constructed from a water jug. I, and a vast majority of the high school, crammed into the wood gym to watch the first game of the Charlie A Tournament. It was my sophomore year, and we were playing Eagle Hill, a school I was not familiar with at the time. During the first few minutes, I screamed like a madman, beat my drum, and loudly joined into a chorus of chants for Bancroft. To my joy, we were in the lead by 10 points, then 20, then 30. For quite some time, I continued yelling and cheering on my team. But as our lead grew to over 40 points, it just felt like bad sportsmanship to keep cheering. Our buckets were now greeted with more of an awkward silence as opposed to the loud roars at the start of the game. By half time, I was cringing when we scored. I didn’t really want to watch the second half of the game, because it was no longer a game. The only sounds that were heard from the game was mostly people quietly shuffling out of the gym, and the remainder shifting in their seats uncomfortably. Personally, I felt so bad for Eagle Hill that I wanted them to start scoring, just so that they could turn the slaughter back into a game.

In my junior year, Eagle Hill came back, and the story was basically the same as the previous year. After that game, it was quite apparent that Bancroft has a much better basketball team than Eagle Hill in any given year. Realistically, when we play Eagle Hill again this year, we will probably win by at least 30 points, which is the most conservative estimate. No one really wants to come to a game where we humiliate the other team. I for one want to see us in a close game that comes down to the last two minutes that leaves me hoarse.

The fact that we bring so many people to a game that has been decided before kick off is somewhat embarrassing. The amount of noise and the large number of fans no longer reflect our school spirit, but instead adds insult to injury for a poor, helpless Eagle Hill team. What was already going to be a massacre turns into a very public humiliation. How would we have felt if last year, Beaver brought out their whole school when they destroyed our team by 50 points?

Therefore, I propose that we invite a different school to Charlie A that will provide us with some competition. This change is definitely realistic, as we have invited many different schools in the past to Charlie A. The purpose is really just to play other D class schools, so we could just invite any other D school. Also, changing our opponent would definitely make more people to come to the game, and help increase our school spirit. We could probably pack the gym and have noise until the very end of the game. To allow a continuance of this tortuous tradition of preventing the flourishing of competition transforms the Charlie A. tournament from what should be a day of rushing adrenaline into a period of awkward monotony.